Hi all! I’ve been rather busy with some study I have taken on, plus I have been madly making Christmas presents for friends and family. However, here’s a dress refashion I finished a little while ago.

I have been inspired by The Renegade Seamstress‘s  dress refashions, so I decided I would give it a try. I loved the colours and the floral print of this dress, and the gather detail under the bust – but it was a bit big, and the crossover front didn’t do a lot for me.

$6 Cotton Dress from Vinnies

So I cut the bodice off at the under-bust seamline, keeping the gather detail (this dress was fully lined, which made the alterations a little more complicated – I won’t be posting a picture of how the inside of the dress ended up!)

Chop chop!

I turned the bodice around and cut a lower neckline, making the back the new front. I finished that edge with some orange bias binding (don’t you love it when you have a bit of stuff in your stash that is the EXACT length for what you need?)

Back to front neckline.

Then I put it on my dress form and played with it a little bit to get the back sitting right, which is when I realised I would need to put a zipper in if I wanted the dress to look more tailored. Also in my stash were a pair of chocolate-brown linen shorts, an op-shop purchase I regretted when I got home and realised they had a large rip in the bum! But both the zipper and some of the material got used in this dress.

I didn’t take too many more photos as it actually got a bit complicated, what with the lining. But essentially I added in an under-bust panel, took in the sides, raised the hem, added in a zipper at the back …. yep, I think that’s it.

Front to back!

Now if the weather would stay warm for more than five minutes at a time I might get to wear it!

Ta-dah!

Advertisements