I like to think of my refashioning habit as my way of reducing my ‘consumer footprint’. Maybe it makes no difference at all to the amount of water used or pollution created during the mass-production of the world’s clothes, but maybe it does make a difference.
Anyway, I went really green with this one! I found this voluminous skirt at Savers a couple of months ago. As usual, it takes me a while to a) decide what it’s going to be and b) actually get around to making it.
It is a maxi-length skirt in a large size, made from a polyester knit – not my favourite fabric but I couldn’t go past that print.
I used a batwing-style jumper as a pattern, pinned all around it and then cut out around the pins (leaving a seam allowance).
My ‘new’ secondhand Huskylock got used for the first time!
I serged up the two side seams, and finished the sleeve openings with a wide binding. Then I cut a curve for the neckline:
….and did a similar wide binding which ended up looking somewhere between a really short cowl-neck and a really loose turtleneck.
I used the serger for those too, and just serged the bottom edge as well. All together, six rows of serging! One of my quickest refashions ever. I love the Huskylock!!!
I’m really pleased with this one! It was so quick and easy with the overlocker – normally I avoid knits when possible because Ms Janome doesn’t seem to like them very much, but now the possibilities are endless!