sewing challenges 2014

I’ve actually managed to complete another of my sewing challenges for 2014! And it’s only, er, halfway through the year….

So I used an old Butterick pattern, number 6572.

Butterick 6572

I say ‘old’ rather than ‘vintage’ because as usual Butterick haven’t put a copyright date anywhere on the pattern, envelope or instruction sheet. This drives me nuts. However, there are ways to roughly date this pattern. For instance, the price there is in dollars, which means it’s post-1966 (when Australia moved to decimal currency).  Also, at some point in the mid to late 80’s, Butterick stopped printing the price on the envelope. So we’re somewhere between 1966 and, say, 1987. My best guess, based on the style and the artwork, would actually be very late 70’s or very early 80’s.

I tried Googling ‘Butterick 6572. Apparently Butterick has used this number more than once! I only wish I had this version. And then there’s this one! That second one is listed as 1970’s, which makes my earlier guess fairly likely.

Anyhoo, the reason I chose to make this one was all because of the Archer. I lurk around many blogs that have featured this sweet indie pattern, like here, here and, well, here. It’s pretty popular, and I do covet it. However, I steeled myself against buying another pattern (no, really, I have so many I need my own catalog) and decided to use one I already had.

I had a piece of vintage fabric too, and when I say vintage I mean I picked it up in an op shop for a couple of bucks. It’s a sort of brushed cotton/flannelette, brown with teeny white polka dots and little orange flowers.

DSCF8544

The pattern was completely uncut, which was lovely, so I copied the pieces I needed onto my old pattern standby, kitchen paper. Did some measurement checks, shaped it a little at the waist, pinned, and cut.

And, I used my beautiful 1962 (or possibly 1963) Pinnock “Zig Zag Deluxe” sewing machine for the whole project. It’s so very smooth and sweet to use. It’s a flatbed, rather than a freearm, which makes tubular sewing a little fiddly; and that’s my excuse for the ease in the sleeve heads being a little lumpy.

DSCF8547

So it does look a little like pyjamas, but I tried it on with jeans and it looked kinda cute. (I still have not found my camera tripod. I think perhaps aliens have taken it.)

DSCF8548

Oh, things I learned while making this shirt: curved hems are painful. I should have basted the d*mn things but noooo, I chose a marathon pinning session instead. This fabric presses really well though, and it looks fine on the outside, so as long as the dressmaking police don’t want to check my construction I’m good to go. (Although, having watched The Great British Sewing Bee, if Patrick Grant wanted to check my work I wouldn’t be arguing with him!)

Advertisements